Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP) is a safe and effective BPH treatment option for prostates of all sizes.
The holmium laser penetrates just enough to precisely and quickly vaporize tissue without causing deeper thermal injury, coagulation necrosis or collateral damage.
HoLEP involves enucleation of the median lobe, followed by the lateral lobes. The lobes are placed into the bladder for removal by morcellation. HoLEP offers comparable clinical outcomes with fewer complications as compared to TURP or Open Prostatectomy and lower re-operation rates as compared to TURP.
HoLEP results are comparable to TURP and Open Prostatectomy
HoLEP Advantages as Compared with TURP1,2,3,4,5,6
HoLEP Advantages as Compared with Open Prostatectomy 1,2,3,4,5,6
Latest clinical publications show HoLEP is durable at 10 years.
1 QOL, Qmax ml/s and IPSS outcomes at 10 years are comparable to outcomes at 1 year
HoLEP has fewer complicationsand lower re-operation rate1,2,3,7,8,9,10
HoLEP and HoLAP are backed by strong clinical evidence
HoLAP/HoLEP are the most studied laser BPH treatments with the highest number ofpublished randomized controlled trials
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate: Long-Term Durability of Clinical Outcomes and Complication rates During 10 Years of Followup, Hazem M. Elmansy,Mostafa M. Elhilali, Ahmed Kotb. J Urol (Nov 2011) Vol 186, 1972-1976.
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate Versus Open Prostatectomy for Prostates Greater Than 100 Grams; 5-Year Follow-up Results of aRandomized Clinical Trial, Kuntz RM, Lehrich K, Ahvai S. Eur Urol 2008 Apr:53:160-168
- A Randomized Trial Comparing Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate with Transurethral Resection of the Prostate for the Treatment ofBladder Outlet Obstruction, Secondary to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in Large Glands (40 to 200 grams), Tan AH, Gilling P, et al. J Urol (Oct. 2003)170:1270-1274
- Randomized Comparison of Transurethral Electroresection and Holmium: YAG Laser Vaporization for Symptomatic Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia,Mottet N, Anidjar J, et al. J Endourol 1999 13:127-130
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate for Prostates of >125mL., Matlaga BR, Lingeman JE, et al. BJU International, 97:81-84, Jan 2006.
- Holmium Laser Bladder Neck Incision vs. Holmium Enucleation of the Prostate as Outpatient Procedures for Prostates Less Than 40 Grams: ARandomized Trial, Aho, TF, Gilling P, et al. J Urol, 174, 210-214, Jul 2005
- KTP Laser versus transurethral resection: early results of a randomized trial Bouchier-Hayes DM, Anderson P, et al. J Endourol 2006 Vol 20 (8):580-585
- Photoselective potassium titanyl phosphate (KTP) laser vaporization vs. transurethral resection of the prostate for prostates larger than 70mL: a short-term prospectiverandomized trial Horasanli K, Silay M, et al. J Urol 2008 71:247-251
- The Diode Laser: A Novel Side-Firing Approach for Laser Vaporisation of the Human Prostate – Immediate Efficacy and 1 – Year Follow- Up Seitz M., Sroka, R., et al. EurUrol 2007 June; 52 1717-1772
- Thulium Laser versus Standard Transurethral Resection of the Prostate: A Randomized Trial Xia, S. et al. European Urology 2006 Vol 53 382-3901
- Hazem M. Elmansy, Ahmed Kotb and Mostafa M. Elhilali, Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate: Long-Term Durability of Clinical Outcomes and Complication Rates During 10 Years of Followup, The Journal of Urology, 2011, 186:1972-1976.
- Gilling PJ , HoLEP vs. TURP Reoperation Rates and Cost Effectiveness, presented material at WCE and AUA 2009.
- Ehab A. Elzayat, Mostafa M. Elhilali, Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP): Long-Term Results, Reoperation Rate, and Possible Impact of the Learning Curve, European Urology, 2007, 52(1465-1472).
- Gilling PJ et al, Long-term results of a randomized trial comparing holmium laser enucleation of the prostate and transurethral resection of the prostate: results at 7 years. BJU Int 2012; 109(3): 408-11.
- Elmansy H et al, Holmium Laser Enucleation Versus Photoselective Vaporization for Prostatic Adenoma Greater than 60 Ml: Preliminary Results of a Prospective, Randomized Clinical Trial. J Urol 2012; 188: 216-221.
- Ahyai S et al, Holmium Laser Enucleation versus Transurethral Resection of the Prostate: 3-Year Follow-Up Results of a Randomized Clinical Trial. Eur Urol 2007; 52(5):1456-63.
- Tasçı AI, Ilbey YÖ, Luleci H et al: 120-W Green-Light laser photoselective vaporization of prostatefor benign prostatic hyperplasia: midterm outcomes, Urology 2011; 78: 134.
- Gupta M et al, Comparison of standard transurethral resection, transurethral vapour resection and holmium laser enucleation of the prostate for managing benign prostatic hyperplasia of > 40 g. BJU Int 2006; 97:85-9.